“In the Cross of Christ I Glory”
(Galatians 6:14; Colossians 1:19-20)
The liturgical heart of the entire building is the complex of five crosses that hangs in the front of the sanctuary.
The bronze-covered cedar crosses have been fired with a torch to give the resemblance of burled wood. The many spots, wrinkled lines and holes denote the trials and strains of life, the marks of sin; then comes blessed relief and forgiveness as our cross touches the cross of Christ.
The prism above the crosses reminds us of the many different ways in which God’s love shines through Christ’s cross into our everyday lives. As we move to and from the altar area we pass through the cross, reminding us that our entire Christian life is lived beneath the cross of Christ.
The entire assemblage is free standing. Each cross has words of Scripture on each side appropriate for that particular cross.
Calvary Lutheran Church is indebted to the sculptor, Mr. Henry Menke, for this thoughtful, inspirational work of art.
Your Cross and Mine – The Cross of Jesus Christ
The central, most highly polished cross. The rest revolves around the cross of Jesus.
- “He died for all.” 2 Corinthians 5:5
- “We preach Christ crucified.” 1 Corinthians 1:23
- “ … he is risen.” Matthew 28:6
- “ … raised for our justification.” Romans 4:25
The Cross of the Repentant Thief
Parallel with, in harmony with, the cross of Jesus.
- “Jesus, remember me.” Luke 23:42
- “Today you will be with me in Paradise.” Luke 23:43
- “Come, blessed of my Father.” Matthew 25:34
- “I will have mercy on him.” Jeremiah 31:10
The Cross of the Unrepentant Thief
The most darkened cross, it is crossed over, at odds with, the cross of Jesus.
- “ … the due reward of our deeds.” Luke 23:41
- “Depart from me.” Matthew 25:41
- “The wages of sin is death.” Romans 6:23
- “ … the way is easy.” Matthew 7:13
Your Cross and Mine
The Call to Faith
- “Believe . . . and be saved.” Acts 16:31
- “Be faithful unto death.” Revelation 2:10
- “We are justified by faith.” Romans 5:1
- “. . . God is for us.” Romans 8:31
The Call in Discipleship
We follow in obedient and loving service.
- “Take up his cross . . . “ Mark 8:34
- “ . . . follow Me.” Matthew 4:19
- “By love serve one another.” Galatians 5:13
- “Go . . . make disciples.” Matthew 28:19